Interview with Jolene Perry

1. What works have you released? What are they about? The Next Door Boys came out last October about a girl who goes to college after a year home fighting cancer. Her goals are to find some independence and not fall in love – she’s half successful. Night Sky is about Jameson whose senior year is falling apart around him, but he’s saved by the very nice distraction of a Native American girl named Sky.
2. How did you get the idea for your work? What lured you to your topics? I got the idea when my husband and I were talking eighties movies in the Taco Bell drive-through. They’re a little before our time, but fun just the same. We were talking Pretty in Pink, and I always wondered what happened to the poor guy who was in love, but didn’t get the girl. That’s the jumping off point for Night Sky.
3. What scene, topic, or section was the most intense (or visual) for you to write? The first scene with jameson and Sky in the swimming pool. And the other was them talking on the phone. Sounds crazy, but I loved the setting of where Sky was, and how she described to Jameson a place he’d never seen, and I loved him picturing her while lying in bed thousands of miles away.
4. In the event that your novel became a screenplay, who would you like to see included in the casting? Julie Jones would need to play Sky. Julianne Hough as Sarah, and Carlos Pena as Jameson.

5. If you could meet anyone or see anything (characters, locations, events, abilities, creatures, etc) from your novel, who or what would you choose? I’d love to meet Jameson, but I’d like to meet him where Sky lives.
6. How did you go about selecting your cover? My publisher did that. I always try to find cool covers as I’m writing, but I had a really hard time with Night Sky.
7. Do you have any upcoming projects? When can readers expect them? Knee Deep comes out this May. I’m hoping for a release date soon for the sequel to The Next Door Boys, and I’m in talks with an editor I’ve been dying to work with on a joint project with Kelley Vitollo.

8. Why did you become an author (or start writing)? I thought it would be cool to write a few scenes just for fun, and before I knew it, I had over a hundred pages, and was completely hooked.
9. What do you love the most about being an author? That my hobby is my job.
10. What or who inspires you to write? Everything. I have a harder time shutting inspiration out than letting it in.
11. What is the top cause you champion? My daugher has Moebius syndrome, and we’re insane about recycling and going nearly chemical free.
12. What advice do you have for anyone who is interested in becoming an author? Develop a thick skin. Know that some people are going to not like the stories and people that you created, and also know that if you’re willing to work hard enough, you can do it.
13. What is one thing your readers should know about you? I have a very hard time taking myself seriously ;-D

14. If you could do anything (for a career), besides being a writer, what would do? I was a high school teacher, a drama coach, a basketball coach, and a track coach – I’d love to do any of those things. I’d also love to be a photographer or a book cover designer.
15. Aside from writing, what are your hobbies? I love to cook. I love to sew. I love anything outside.
16. What is…?
a. …your favorite author? John Green, Jandy Nelson, Sarah Ockler, Laurie Halse Anderson
b. …your favorite book or series? See all of the above
c. …your biggest literary inspiration? Again, see all of the above.

17. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what artists? If not, do you have other muses? I listen to music VERY quietly while I write. I listen to my playlists for individual projects as I run or drive in the car. The artists change with the manuscript.

18. Is there anything that helps you write or is unique about your writing process? I NEVER write in order. Very often I even write short scenes out of order.
19. Which, if any, character do you feel has the most of your characteristics (behavioral or otherwise)? Leigh – my character from The Next Door Boys.
Thank you for participating!
Thanks for having me!!




Title: Night Sky
Author: Jolene Perry
Source: Tribute Books

After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her.

As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast.

But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year


Where to find Jolene Perry:




Comments

Tribute Books said…
Miranda, thanks again for hosting Jolene today, and for supporting "Night Sky." We appreciate it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by Brain Holers

Guest Post by Justin Ordoñez

The Strong Female: Guest Post by Sheryl Steins