Interview+Review: Scent of a White Rose




Scent of a White Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1)
Title: Scent of a White Rose
Series: The Rose Trilogy
Author: Tish Thawer

Publisher: Amber Leaf Publishing
Format: ARC [eBook]

A vampire's love...
An innocent's guilt...
A secret no one could've imagined...

A paranormal romance that entices with a heroine that isn't quite what she seems, a vampire whose love story is filled with dark surprises, and a vampire clan whose Sire has lost the ability to inflict "the change".

~ ROSE ~
I'm Rose Reynolds. I have recently lost my Mom in a "freak accident".
Now everyone sees me as an innocent girl.... a “white Rose”.
But I have a secret that no one can imagine.
I'm not as innocent as everyone thinks…

~ CHRISTIAN ~
I'm Christian and I’m in love with Rose. I also have a secret as old as time.
I’m a vampire.
No, she doesn’t know…yet.
But when our new Sire is revealed, I'll petition them to change her.
Because truly, I can't live without her...

*Please note: This book was previous labeled YA, but due to the age of the characters and content it has been relabeled PNR, but could still be considered MATURE YA.*



“You’re in love with her.”
"Damn straight."
(Quote.)
Scent of a White Rose begins and ends with Rose Reynolds.

The novel opens with a brief world-building, refreshingly embracing a show-don’t-tell premise. The young but advanced college student is still dealing with well-expressed grief over the murder of her mother, Loraine. Despite the time elapsed since the tragic loss, her widower father, Jeremy, is trying to balance instituting extensive freedom-restrictions and avoiding emotional oppression. The death having severely aggravating Jeremy’s naturally over-protective ways, Rose struggles beneath his insane behaviors of curfews, unwanted rides, and frequently calling her friend and her parents to locate her. As a victim of insufferable paranoia, the reader cannot help but pity Rose and admire a faint presence of goodness. The sweetness is often mistaken for the purity of a white rose that some can’t see beyond. But Rose is fierce, and she’s strong beyond the abandonment and grief of her mother’s tragic end. Rose is funny and quirky, but also passionate. An intelligent history major, she has a refreshing ability to see things (such as blinding mystery or the possibilities for vampire existence) from a rational, scholarly perspective – while also maintaining realistic emotions and a sense to trust her instincts. And when the latter leaders her wrong (such as trusting the undependable), although she’s capable she doesn’t want to deal with something, she doesn’t make excuses for her mistakes. She’s blunt and prefers honesty (often incensed by having to keep her mind blank around Christian or having to skew truths to humor her unreasonable father). She’s not weak or elusive - she embraces her sexuality and evaluates her relationship with swoon-worthy-bouncer-vampire-boyfriend Christian, but still emanates an age-appropriate, youthful behavior that will strongly appeal to YA readers.

The author has a distinct, memorable voice that is beautifully echoed through each character. In spite of multiple points of view (including Christian, Rose, Jeremy, etc.), each character is unique and contributes to a fantastically crafted, well-rounded story. The dynamic allows room for maddening speculation as to the villain’s identity and role, contemplating whether it be a various range of suspects. While growing to trust the author’s voice, the reader cannot decide which character to trust.

With every simple, amusing, and mysterious chapter title acting as a fantastic harbinger, even minute details contribute to the brilliant little mystery woven perfectly into this love story. Even the main character can surprise you, and brilliantly done at that. When believable ignorance can be a complete mask, the reader is merely left to hypothesize until the piece has been hungrily devoured.

This unique take on vampire lore will stand out amongst other books of its genre. The introduction of new concepts (such as biology, “drifting”, and clan-structure) is both much-needed and worthy of dramatic applause. Paired with a royally “OMG” ending and the exciting promise of a series, the thirst of YA readers called, and Scent of a White Rose answered. Sexy, fast-paced, enthralling, and clever – there is no excuse not to adore this book.

I recommend this for fans of Fate Fixed by Bonnie Erina Wheeler, The Morganville Vampire Series by Rachel Caine, The Chicagoland Vampries by Chloe Neill, and The Blood Coven Series by Mari Mancusi.  

Highly recommended!






1. What (and how many books) have you released? What are they about? Scent of a White Rose will be my first published book, though not the first book I've written. It's book one in The Rose Trilogy, which is about Rose, a young woman with a secret, and Christian, the vampire who loves her.


2. How did you get the idea for your work? What lured you to your topics? This trilogy actually started with a dream. I woke up and had the title for the first book in my head. Shortly after, the other two titles filtered in and I knew that this would be a story about a girl named Rose, and her decent from an innocent "white" Rose, to a guilty "red" Rose, and then hitting her lowest point as the "black" Rose.

3. What topic/scene/section was the most intense, or most visual, for you to write, personally? Oh man, that's a hard one. Since I see the story in my head, everything is very visual to me. But, I would say the history lesson that Evangeline receives from her Sire. It took me back in time and filled in the blanks as to the how's and why's regarding the things that were happening. (Sorry can't give too much away. LOL)

4. In the event that your book became a screenplay (or documentary), who would you like to see included in the casting?

Rose: Elisha Cuthbert or Emilie de Ravin

Christian: Alex Pettyfer or Hayden Christensen

Evangeline: Evangeline Lilly or Rachel Weisz or Famke Janssen

Dax: An older Cam Gigandet

Dominique: Scarlett Johansson (with red hair)

Tori: Christina Hendricks

Bobby: Stephen R. McQueen (with blonde hair)

Terrance: Eduardo Verastegui

Jillian: Camilla Belle

5. If you could meet anyone or see anything from your novel, characters or otherwise, what and/or who would you choose? I've previously said Evangeline, but I would also love to spend some time with Christian. He's gorgeous, and caring, and I would love to get inside his head to see how he really feels about what's happening to him.

6. How did you go about selecting your cover? I was lucky enough to find Regina Wamba, owner of Mae I Design and Photography. I sent her some examples of what I wanted and what kind of "feeling" I wanted my covers to have and she took those ideas and turned them into something amazing. I know I'm partial, but I just thought they were all so beautiful, and they perfectly portrayed the mysterious and haunting feel that I was going for.

7. What, if any, are your upcoming projects? When can readers expect them? I'm currently in the middle of books two and three for The Rose Trilogy, which have expected release dates of March and May. I'm also working on a short-story that I've been invited to submit for an anthology. I have an adult PNR trilogy that I've started, that will hit the shelves in the Fall of 2012, and a fantasy series that will be comprised of five short novellas that will be available in eBook format in the fall of 2013.

8. Why did you become (or decide to become) an author (or start writing)? I just liked the idea of building a world where people could escape and enjoy the possibilities of mystery and magic in the same way that so many books have done for me.

9. What do you love the most about being an author? Being able to stay home and set my own hours. Writing allows me to be present in my children's lives while providing me with the creative outlet that I crave.

10. What or who inspires you to write? Oh gosh...I'm inspired by everything! My children, my husband, the nature around me. The beautiful sunrises I watch creep over the mountain outside my window every morning. And just the desire to create something that will transport me and others to somewhere magical.

11. What is the top cause you champion? Animal rights. I can't stand to see an animal harmed or neglected. I have adopted many dogs throughout my life and have been rewarded with some of the most amazing pets because of it.


12. What advice do you have for anyone who is interested in becoming an author? Go for it! Don't be scared or let anyone tell you that you can't do it. But make sure that you study, research, and always try to do your best work no matter what you're writing. And make sure you find a great editor. Editing is key!

13. What is the one thing your readers should know about you? That I appreciate them taking a chance on me. I know a lot of readers won't pick up a book by a new author, and I am so very grateful to those who do.

14. What is the one thing you want your perspective readers to know about you? I try to take things I love and twist them into something original and unique. So even though my books may sound like something you've read before–there not!

15. If you could do anything (for a career), besides being a writer, what would do? Dance. I've danced my entire life. I actually taught modern dance when I was fifteen and still try to shake my booty whenever possible! :p

16. Aside from writing, what are your hobbies? Reading, Movies, Dancing, Photography.


17. What is…?

a. …your favorite author? Nope - I can't answer this one. There are too many wonderful authors out there for me to choose just one.

b. …your favorite book or series? Of this year - A Discovery of Witches.

c. …your biggest literary inspiration? Gena Showalter - she writes YA, and steamy adult PNR. I love that she has crossed genres so successfully, and the fact that she is hilarious doesn't hurt.

18. Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what artists? If not, do you have other muses? I do listen to music, but only when I'm taking breaks. If I feel burnt out or have hit a wall with an idea, I'll watch a few videos, inspiration will strike, and then I'll get right back to it. I love Christina Perry, and enjoy some of Lady Gaga's songs. I really like Avirl Lavine's Wish You Were Here.

19. Is there anything, specifically, that helps you write (or is unique about your writing process)? I don't think it's anything truly unique, but I need peace to write. I do my best work when the house is empty, quite, and with the lights turned down low.

20. Which, if any, character do you feel has the most of your characteristics (or acts like you do)? Rose. She sensitive but tough. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to break the rules to get it. And she isn't scared to make the hard choices.


Where to find Tish Thawer:

Where to find The Rose Series:
Facebook
Smashwords
Amazon
Barnes and Noble




Enter the Treasure Hunt! Click the smoking roses! :)

Comments

Tish Thawer said…
Miranda, Thank you so much for hosting a stop on my tour. I loved your in-depth review! :)
Miranda said…
Thank you! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by Brain Holers

Guest Post by Justin Ordoñez

The Strong Female: Guest Post by Sheryl Steins