Review: Wanderlove by Belle Malory

WanderloveMy Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

Description:

Lola Moori is hiding a secret she doesn't know she's keeping.
She begins to remember someone. 
Someone important.

His name is Gabe…and whatever they shared, she could feel that it was epic.
Yet it seems Gabe wanted her to forget him. Forever.
The curse that repressed Lola’s memories for the span of several lifetimes is coming undone. But unfortunately for Lola, she discovers that some secrets are better left buried.

Review: I'm writing this on 4-AM, last-page adrenline, but I'll try to form this into something more than the giant, screaming "OH MY GOSH" that is flickering across the inner mind's eye like rolling credits. As I labor to harbor and control my internal, eternal fangirldom, I'm going to say straight up, this this book is nothing short of amazing. It's the kind of book one wants to have at the top of their shelf - in addition to the fact that this cover is absolutely beautiful, it will be armed and ready-to-read whenever the mood strikes. 
That good? Pssh. Yeah!


I really had no idea how I would feel about this. Gypsies and memories? That's not something you're going to find in every other piece sitting at the bookstore. But, as I said, the cover was gorgeous and it seemed so different. I knew I had to read it, and I wasn't disappointed.


If you've ever read an NaNoWriMo YA workbook, you've most likely encountered the "list all the books you've ever disliked and figure out why" senario in writing practice. In terms of that reflection, I can honestly say that the number one thing that I whine about is either disliking the main characters, or being unable to sympathize with them. That is certainly not the case here. First of all, when you get to know Gabe - you're pretty much obsessed and addicted. Hook, line, sinker (Ha! Boat reference!) - you're on the tsuff for life. Henceforth, fangirldom. On top of that, you experience this book through Lola, and if the cold dead heart has ever beated, it's going to feel for this girl! Her voice is one that will leave you racing through each sentace with a burning desire to know what's going to happen (magnificant pacing? Check!), on the verge of tears, horrorstruck, snickering, and laughing. She's rediculously funny, engrossingly facinating, and you can't help but fall into her story.


With an opening like psycic carjacking, I confess I was worried that I was trying to melt into the mind of a delinquint preparing to go live in a sewer. Then suddenly thrust into a tropical storm, and awaking to the success of a beautifully described Florida and eventually dabbling in European royalty... I can tell you now, there is no sewer-living delinquints in this book. If you're looking for it (which, in this case, I would have to deem you strange), look elsewhere. Needless to say, any worry was calmed pretty quick. The setting here is detailed and gorgeous.

There's a lot of dynamic here. You adore Dakota and Lina. You're sometimes hating Annika. You're laughing at Lola's quirky, health-concious grandmother. You're falling in love with Gabe (and dying for Lola to be with him!) - a lot. You're wishing you had Lola's future brother-in-laws (even the awkwardly resepected one from the awesome past lives). You're jealous that you most likely don't have some sole-mate from past lives leaving a trail for you to find him. You're confused as to why your belly-dancing skills are not as awesome as a spontaneous show impersonating a talented friend would demand. You're glad as heck your dad never tried selling you into prostitution. And, you're probably wondering why you don't have the secret to the end of the world hidden in your brain. Which I don't recommend, by the way. It sounds scary as hell. When some insane chick and her henchman start cutting your nails off with a knife, it might be time to reconsider lifestyle decisions.


Just a suggestion :)


There's three parts of this book. The first is this face-paced dive into the mind of Lola and this facinating world of the gypsies. The second is this brillant trip into Lola and Gabe's historic love story. The third is this heart-pounding explosive falling conclusion. Which, of course, has me wishing that I could have my hands on more now


I can't wait to see if there is anything else from this author! Expecially in way of sequel.

Highly recommended! 
Go get a copy!


Where to find Wanderlove:

Comments

Shari said…
I can't believe you wrote all of that at 4 in the morning:) You've definitely gotten me interested in Wanderlove! I'm a new follower too!
Shari (My Neurotic Book Affair)
Miranda said…
Haha! I often read books overnight and write the review just before dawn :) I find it's easiest to write a review when the book is fresh in my mind! And thank you so much for following! :)
Anonymous said…
CASTING;

LOLA- MEGAN FOX
GABE- JOSH BOWMAN
MIRIAM- SALLY FIELD

That's who I cast in my head while reading the book. Which I loved by the way and anxious for the next read!! =D
Miranda said…
That would be so awesome! :) I can't wait for the next one, either! :D

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by Brain Holers

Guest Post by Justin Ordoñez

The Strong Female: Guest Post by Sheryl Steins