Author Interview with Bonnie Wheeler!

I had the awesome opportunity to interview Bonnie Erina Wheeler of The Erris Coven Series (including her debut novel, Fate Fixed, released summer 2011 and the sequel Blood Twist, coming out early 2012).

1. What are people most surprised to discover about you? I would have to say it is a combination of little things rather than any big thing. I think when people hear my youngest son is adopted, they are surprised to hear that. But when I also tell them he inspired me to go back to college at age 34 and that I graduated as valedictorian with my associate’s degree, they really are shocked.

2. Which, if any, character do you feel has the most of your characteristics (or acts like you do)? I really put a lot of myself into Lexie. She doesn't look at all like me of course (insert wild laughter here), but she is kind and she tries to make others happy and I tend to do that a lot. She also likes the underdog, because she sees beyond the surface. She has a love for 30 Seconds to Mars like me and has a good sense of humor. My current heroine in Blood Twist is much stronger than me. She is more like my daughter.
3. Why did you select to write about vampires/ werewolves? What lured you to it? My daughter (((giggles))) loves novels about them. I wanted to write her a novel she would love. I paired the two together because I wanted to imagine what would be the most challenging adversary for my protagonist and my antagonist. After researching some of the older beliefs, I wove that into my novel. I especially was surprised that there are still areas of communities in Romania that still believe in the pricolici. From there I knew I wanted to include real wolf behavior. The draugar were also fun to recreate from Norse mythology. The Irish parts were imagined because I LOVE everything Irish! Especially Torin. Wink, wink.

4. Which scene was the most intense, or most visual, for you personally? I think writing Fate Fixed was like watching a movie unfold in my imagination. I loved the roof top scene and the emotions involved, I wish I could see that done on film!

5. If you could cast any actor)/actresses to play your main characters, who would you select? That is soooo hard to answer. I'm not sure anyone truly looks likes the individuals living in my head! I can imagine Alex Pettyfer as Braden and a younger Jared Leto to play Torin. Ki Hong Lee would make a great Theo! And Patrick Duffy as Donovan, Torin's father. I would love for readers to put in their votes though! :)

6. If you could meet anyone or see anything from your novel, characters or otherwise, what and/or who would you choose? I would love to go to Erris and sit down at Big Wally's with the gang. I think it would be hilarious to hear the guys harass each other! Especially Teagan and Theo. They make me smile.

7.  How did you go about selecting your cover? I am a fan of Phatpuppy Art. When I discovered my current cover for Fate Fixed, I couldn't imagine it being anything else. I purchased that from her and sent it over to Simply Indie Productions (((shameless plug!! Ha!))) who did the cover design for me.

8. What, if any, is/are your next upcoming project(s)? As many know, The Erris Coven Series is planned to be a 5 book series. I am still working on tightening up Blood Twist and looking forward to its release later this fall. But, at the same time, I am working on the next novels. I can't wait for everyone to learn what happens to Cian and Teagan. And, eventually the werewolves will be coming back - but that is all I want to give out on that little goodie. A collection of character bios and short stories is also being planned, but that won't be out for another year.

9. What do you love best about being an 'indie' author? I can't compare it to being traditionally published because I haven't had that experience, but I love that I can talk to readers and other Indie authors and develop friendships with them over social media. It is so much fun to chat on facebook with someone who just read Fate Fixed and listen to their questions and ponderings! :)

10.   Why did you decide to become an author (or start writing)? My daughter always wanted me to write. She writes as well. I decided to write a novel for her during a time when she was undergoing an illness. I didn't think it would ever be read by other people though. She read it and loved it and said publish it!! But I also found that writing is a wonderful gift I can give myself. It makes me happy and takes me on adventures.

11.   What or who inspires you to write? My family and all of the readers who send me messages that they loved my novel inspire me. Knowing you can provide a little escape for someone into a different world free from daily stress is amazing. My family is full of talented, creative people!! They are my biggest inspiration!

12.   What is the top cause you champion? Hmmmm.... Education!! It should be for everyone. Even older students like me. Also, adoption. We have sooooo many children in the USA that need homes and a place to be loved.

13.   What advice do you have for anyone who is interested in becoming an author? Best advice is to read a variety of books and to practice writing as much as possible. Give yourself permission to write junk, just practice. After, you can go through and edit out your junk and find the good waiting to come out!

Thank you for the chance to participate with your interview!!!
What an awesome interview! Thanks for participating!
--
Where to Find Bonnie Erina Wheeler:
   

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post by Brain Holers

Guest Post by Justin Ordoñez

The Strong Female: Guest Post by Sheryl Steins