Friday, February 17, 2012

Interview with HK Savage


1.   What works have you released? What are they about?
The Empath Trilogy is a YA paranormal adventure about a human girl with the gift of empathy. She goes to college and learns about the existence of a whole other world. The vampire who trains her how to use her gift has a gift as well and when theirs combine, a link is formed the likes of which the supernatural world hasn’t seen in 300 years. With that link comes the hope that they can defeat those who want to destroy the human world forever.

Life Blood is an adult thriller combining real doctor, Philip Physick’s, pioneering blood transfusion work with fiction to tell a tale of how far some will go to live forever.

The Path is a new work coming out in March that is based on the premise that magick is real and there is a secret society, Veritas, responsible for policing and educating witches born to magickal and non-magickal families. When a cult leader uses his magick to swindle widows and concocts a drug that pits witches against each other, it’s up to Veritas’ agents to stop him.

2.   How did you get the idea for your work? What lured you to your topics?
I love a good adventure and a bit of romance too. Often times my husband and I come up with a premise and then I take off with it. Going for walks with certain music helps me to flesh plots and scenes out.

3.   What scene, topic, or section was the most intense (or visual) for you to write?
I think The Empath Trilogy’s characters were my most visual because they were my first. Without giving away a few spoilers, I would say in book 2 when Claire makes the decision to give herself up to save her friend was vivid as well as a scene in book 3 when she is dying and bargaining with her lover’s mentor to live.

4.    In the event that your novel became a screenplay, who would you like to see included in the casting?
In Empath, I didn’t realize until I watched the Hangover that Bradley Cooper was my James.
Life Blood, I could see Alistair being Ving Rhames
If I could find a way to have Jason Statham be in one, I’d possibly rewrite a character for him as long as I could sit on the set with him. 

5.   If you could meet anyone or see anything (characters, locations, events, abilities, creatures, etc) from your novel, who or what would you choose?
I’d like to meet Quan. He’s a quirky witch from China but incredibly powerful. I think he’d be interested to talk to if not terribly frustrating because he doesn’t talk much.

6.   How did you go about selecting your cover?
Most of my covers pop into my head while I’m writing my books. We’ve recently brought in a new cover designer here at Staccato Publishing (my company formed March 2011) and we discuss ideas and she comes up with absolutely stunning visuals. Check out Donna Milward’s Thoeba (due out June 2012). That was our first collaboration.

7.   Do you have any upcoming projects? When can readers expect them?
I’m writing under two names, one of which I’m contracted under for 5 years with another publisher but not really sharing much right now.
For HK Savage, I am considering writing a sequel to The Path because it’s getting so much praise and could easily go for a series. However, I have another one in the wings called Whispers that my test readers have absolutely loved. That one could be out for Christmas 2012.

8.   Why did you become an author (or start writing)?
I’ve written my whole life, edited as a career for ten years, but I didn’t actually start writing seriously until five years ago.

9.   What do you love the most about being an author?
Creating other worlds that not only I can get lost in, but other readers come to me and say they loved jumping into.

10.What or who inspires you to write?
To write or write well?  I write because it’s my creative outlet and I’m a busybody. Just reading, I find myself wanting to tweak scenes. Writing my own stories is the only way to have total control. Unless the characters hijack the plot, which they tend to do. To write well, I would have to say Gail Carriger. She’s an author of a Steampunk series called Soulless and I have to say that she is brilliant and can turn a phrase so enviably I feel like a beginner next to her.

11.What is the top cause you champion?
Heifer International. They help people on a global level to lift themselves out of poverty by training and educating them into new livelihoods. Their work has also helped to heal tribal rifts in parts of Africa that have caused wars for generations. Check them out. I used to be an editor for them.

12.What advice do you have for anyone who is interested in becoming an author?
Write. What I tell the writers’ group I help run is when crafting a story, write backstories for your characters, get to know them. The story doesn’t have to make it into any books. Once you know your characters, toss them into a scenario and watch them go. Now you’re just telling their story and it flows. It also helps to make multi-faceted characters that people will enjoy following.

13.What is one thing your readers should know about you?
     I could talk about books and writing endlessly! Seriously, that’s why the mentoring and       publishing business. It’s a blast to help authors and to watch them hold their books in their hands for the first time.

14.If you could do anything (for a career), besides being a writer, what would do?
I wanted to be in the military or FBI but life happened.

15.Aside from writing, what are your hobbies?
Riding dressage on the best pony ever, martial arts (black belt March 2012), working with my therapy dog with several different groups.

16.What is…?
a.    …your favorite author?  Tied between Jack London and Emma Orczy
b.    …your favorite book or series? The Scarlet Pimpernel
c.    …your biggest literary inspiration? See above.


17.Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what artists? If not, do you have other muses?
Music has helped me craft most of my work. When I write different scenes I pick different artists. Snow Patrol honestly is my biggest one to have running in the background. Then there’s Muse, Depeche Mode, Gotye, and about ten more.

18.Is there anything that helps you write or is unique about your writing process?
Probably not. I get the idea, have the characters ready and just start. As I write and things begin to reveal themselves I go back and add the layers until it’s done. It’s like a super long brainstorming session.

19.Which, if any, character do you feel has the most of your characteristics (behavioral or otherwise)? 
I’m told Claire is a lot like me, but I think elements of me go into all of my characters. How can they not? They’re like my kids.


 
Title: The Path
Author: HK Savage
Description: Magick is real. And there is a secret world complete with its own agency, Veritas, to control those who would wield their power over “regulars”, or threaten the secrecy that keeps them all safe from the persecution that nearly destroyed them. For Cassie, a mixed blood witch, it’s the only world she’s ever known though she’s never embraced her role as agent for Veritas. For Drew, a witch born to a non-magickal family, it answers so many of his questions. It is also the cause of so much loss and pain. And now, as he and Cassie attempt to find his missing brother, rumored to be working with a rogue witch and cult leader, it threatens to take the last of his family. Or will magick save it?



Where To Find HK Savage:



0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...